I’m not sure how many people are realistic about their vision of retirement. For most, I think their plan is to either a) travel to exotic and expensive locations and party it up like they have not a care in the world, or b) simply not go to work.
I’m going to guess that most people’s primary focus is the latter – to simply not go to work.
But if you’re NOT working, and you can’t always afford to be galavanting around the world like a Kardashian, how will you fill 12 hours a day?
If I could retire tomorrow, I have a list of household tasks that could keep me busy for a few years, I think:
- Minimize the clutter and paperwork (receipts, medical files, school paperwork, etc) around my house. Scan all physical paperwork and de-clutter the files on my hard drive. This would also include scanning and organizing all the photos and cleaning out the tens of thousands of digital photos on my laptop. I’m pretty sure that this task could keep me busy for six months.
- I will cook interesting new recipes more often. I already cook dinner at home at least five nights a week, but I don’t always have the time or energy to be more creative.
- I will entertain more…invite friends over more often to enjoy some of my cooking accomplishments (or failures)!
- I have many unfinished craft projects that I’d like to complete, especially a quilt top that just needs backed and a cross stitch project that I started when we were first engaged. Twenty nine years ago. Don’t judge.
- I think I could really get into quilting. But I’d need to take a few classes to get started.
- I would like to practice my photography more. I don’t have any intention of being a professional, but I think I could certainly make a few bucks on the side.
- Read. Read. Read. And not just articles shared in my Facebook newsfeed.
- Travel. Anywhere. Everywhere. And not just a few days…I’m talking full immersion travel. Three months in Italy. A 12 month drive around the country. I have a long list.
- I’m not really an outdoorsy person, but I am interested in hiking more?
What do you want to do in retirement?